Meat Manager - Northern Canada
Being unique is something to be celebrated -embrace differences -challenge and learn from each other. The extraordinary comes from different experiences and different lives. It brings us closer. We embrace the culture and languages of our nations’ first peoples and live together under the northern lights. The great communities that we are a part of are rich with history and amazing people. We are the North West Company!
Permanent Full -Time
Relocation to the North
Do you crave a lifestyle change with a great career on the side? The North West Company (NWC) is a 353 year old Canadian icon and a leading retailer to amazing northern communities –large and small. With over 130 stores, we strive to make a positive difference within each community we proudly serve by bringing products and services that help the lives of our community members. Our stores are community hubs that offers a broad range of quality products, services and food.
You are passionate about people, learning new things and love adventure. Diversity and different cultures are fascinating to you. You’re a bit bored by the same thing day in and day out, and you really enjoy taking ownership of your department and driving results. You like to make a difference and you need meaning in your work. Whatever task you are performing, you are enthusiastic, lead from the front, display a strong work ethic and have the ability to manage challenging situations. As a front line leader, you have the agility and capacity to work respectfully, knowledgeably, and effectively in the communities where you not only work, but also live. Your ability to develop a deep empathy and respect for the community that you serve is critical.
Leading By Example
No two days are the same in this roll-up-your-sleeves leadership role! Community members are our customers and they depend on us, they are our top priority. Our store experience is a little different then others -you'll experience challenges that are unique to the communities in the North. You are resilient and embrace opportunities to improve the experience of your customers and fellow employees. You think outside the box; getting creative in order to get the job done. The ability to have a direct positive impact over a team, helping them to grow and develop, is one of the many reasons that makes this role worthwhile.
- Accountable for the execution of a retention strategy for your area of responsibility by promoting team building and motivating your team to achieve their stated objectives
- Directly responsible for implementing training and skillset improvement of your team members
- Create open communication lines between you and your team members; act on feedback appropriately in the best interest of the individual, team and store
- Foster strong community relationships by actively engaging with community leaders and members
- In conjunction with the Store Manager, develop plans to achieve financial targets; communicate and train team members
- Motivate and provide staff with the tools and materials required to ensure high quality and efficient job performance
- Develop and execute displays and specials giving focus to merchandise requirements as well as customer needs
- Problem solve unique issues with the resources at hand and best advice from fellow team members with a positive attitude
- Creatively manage freight and inventory challenges; find ways to “work smart”
- Use your personal skillset to develop knowledge regarding local competition, and apply these insights by collaborating with store leaders on how to improve your store’s competitive advantage
- Ensure solid execution of in-store selling activities and marketing programs, aligned to corporate programs and initiatives, as directed through the Selling Event Calendar
- Develop a weekly schedule, designed to meet the needs of the business throughout the year, with flexibility to account for unforeseen opportunities
- Develop daily routines to ensure tasks are assigned and completed by business priority
- Work closely with Store Management to obtain budgeted goals for margins, sales, labour and inventory based on operating standards
- Demonstrate leadership in your store by prioritizing a consistent status of business-readiness, emphasizing the support of company programs and initiatives
- Ensure ordering is completed on a timely basis with forethought to delivery times and business needs, resulting in appropriate inventory levels and maximizing sales
- Follow all loss prevention and shrink control guidelines in accordance with company policy
Why You’re Right for NWC
We look for leaders with retail in their background, but our track record shows that good leaders come from everywhere. We love helping people grow and develop. Below is our wish list:
- Minimum of a high school diploma with experience in a leadership role
- Proficient computer skills, especially Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook)
- Valid driver’s license
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience as a team leader
- Retail experience preferred
- Ability to work with numbers and interpret financial reports
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to foster strong relationships and partnerships
- Demonstrated success in motivating and leading a team
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
- Self-driven and results-oriented with a clear business focus and strong problem solving skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Positive and optimistic attitude, even in the face of adversity
- Attention to detail and good organizational skills
- Willingness to be open, to learn, and take on new responsibilities
- Ability to appropriately delegate work duties and manage and motivate staff
Departments To Explore:
Communities & Working Conditions:
Our stores, branded Northern and NorthMart are located in communities across Canada’s north. Communities vary in population from villages to major urban centres.
Tired of falling behind every month? With salaries ranging from $40K - $55K, a great bonus program, at least 4 week’s vacation and heavily subsidized living and food allowances, the NWC total rewards package gives you a chance to get ahead.
Reports to: Store Manager
Keeping a store stocked involves heavy lifting; you must be able to lift up to 50 pounds
Retail hours apply; this means some days are longer than others –but you have the flexibility to manage your time with the support of Store Management
We love hiring pairs –couples, siblings, BFFs. Know someone? Want to bring them with you? Let us know.
You are invited to share your unique skills and talents with the community on a volunteer basis, which has proven to be very rewarding.
We host regular Information Sessions. To find out more, visit us at www.northerncareers.ca
The NorthWest Company prides itself on hiring and employment practices defined by equality and inclusion. Candidates who require accommodation, please notify Human Resources on a confidential basis. All candidates are welcome to apply, but only those legally eligible to work in Canada will be considered.