Regular Full Time, Meatcutter
Are you a great communicator who creates team spirit and you’re welcoming with customers? The North West Company (NWC) is hiring Department Managers, Grocery for their Northern and NorthMart stores. Take your high-level retail experience and bring your skills to NWC. Department Managers, Meat are responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of the Meat Departments.
Ready to embrace your direction? Joining NWC gives you the opportunity for growth and development throughout the company, a competitive salary and benefits package, and to be part of a dynamic and diverse culture.
We are currently recruiting to the following areas; Happy Valley, Iqaluit, Inuvik, Rankin, Waskaganish and Chisasibi. You receive benefits such as subsidized housing and food allowance, paid vacation travel, bonus and profit sharing opportunities, ability to bank what you earn and more! We even have, and encourage, employment opportunities for spouses.
NWC is a leading retailer to under-served rural communities and urban neighbourhood markets in the following regions: Northern Canada, Western Canada, rural Alaska, the South Pacific islands, and the Caribbean. Our stores offer a broad range of products and services with an emphasis on food. Our value offer is to be the best local shopping choice for everyday household and local lifestyle needs. Check out northwest.ca for more information. Go North.
Your Role: NWC is a leading retailer to under-served rural communities and urban neighbourhood markets in the following regions: Northern Canada, Western Canada, rural Alaska, the South Pacific islands, and the Caribbean. Our stores offer a broad range of products and
- Prepare, package and label meat department merchandise, ensuring customers’ needs have been met to maximize sales and in a safe and sanitary manner. Provide a memorable customer shopping experience by ensuring each customer is greeted promptly and that each request for fresh meat is carried out accurately and efficiently.
- As Meat Cutter, you are accountable to
- Cut, trim, tenderize, and/or grinds meat, pork, and poultry per company procedures/standards for quality and consistency of finished merchandise
- Per Company standards, properly package cut and ground merchandise to trays and wrap
- Strictly adhering to The North West Company price accuracy policies, weight merchandise, and affix label per Company standards.
- Transfer wrapped and labeled trays to the rolling rack for meat case on the sales floor or for storage in the meat cooler
- Stock meat case, pulling stock from cooler throughout shift to ensure merchandise is properly stocked, that the stock mix is correct and that the merchandise presentation is maintained to Company standards.
- Follow all the Meat Department general and specific standards procedures, and goals
- Ensure that proper clothing is worn per local government regulations
- Follow all Meat Department and government requirements regarding safety and sanitation procedures and policies
- Inspect and reassemble department equipment sanitized the previous night
- Transfer cases of meat, pork, and/or poultry from the cooler and empties contents onto cutting surface or other prep areas Provide superior customer service to each customer.
- Assist the Receiving Department in the receipt of department meats and supplies
- Following tasks set out by Department Management
- Re-stock necessary supplies
- Participate in monthly and semi-annual financial/physical inventory
- Role Specific Competencies
- High level of competency and ability to safely work with knives, meat saws, and other meat department tools
- Strong ability to communicate clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing
- Able to multi-task
- React proactively, quickly, and appropriately in identifying problems and finding solutions to customer inquiries and requests, knowing when to call a supervisor or manager to assist the customer
- Able to be organized and maintain an area that is clean
• Able to stand for long periods of time throughout shift
• Able to lift a minimum of 50 lbs. on a consistent basis • Able to stoop and bend on a regular basis • Fast-paced work environment • Ability to work flexible hours, shifts, and days including morning to evening, weekends, and public holidays • Able to work inside and outside the building
Desired Skills & Experience:
- High School diploma or a combination of experience and education preferred
- Two years of meat cutting experience preferred
- Highly skilled knife cutting, meat saws, and other Meat department tools techniques a must
- Basic math, reading, and writing skills required
- Strong human relations skills
A competitive salary is being offered along with opportunities to learn, develop and advance throughout the organization. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.