Department Manager, Meat
Northern and NorthMart is looking for full time Department Managers, Meat for stores across northern Canada.
What it takes to be a Department Manager with us
Department Managers play a valuable role in the day-to-day operations of our stores to ensure we provide a variety of essential services to the communities in which we operate. Being a Department Manager can be incredibly varied. You could be merchandising or ordering for a specific department, serving customers at the till, receiving deliveries, planning the scheduling for your team or taking charge of the store when the Store Manager is away.
What you can look forward to:
- Driving profitable sales for your department
- Accountability for the full operations of your department
- Coaching, motivating and developing a team of store associates
- Prioritizing and tasking work duties
- Planning, organizing, managing and merchandising your department inventory
- Monitoring and adjusting customer service levels within your department
What you will discover
Our environment is a little different than others. You will experience challenges that are unique to our communities. Things can get unpredictable but we are a resilient team that take control of difficult situations; we think outside the box and get creative in order to get the job done. Our best department managers understand this is a physically demanding role and are not afraid to be hands on to get the job done. Enterprising, passionate individuals who are good planners and organizers are always successful with us!
What you’ll receive in return
Joining our team as a Department Manager allows you to take ownership of your own department, create plans and strategies to help increase sales and retain customer loyalty. Department Managers need to be driven, but also goal oriented as we are all working together to reach our targets. In return, we enable our Department Managers to share in the profitable growth of the business, which translates into meaningful financial compensation. We also offer a comprehensive salary and benefits, combined with development and career opportunities to help our managers to learn and grow into a future Retail leader.
- Comprehensive salary and benefits package
- Subsidized food and housing programs
- Career growth opportunities
- Excellent training program
- Opportunity to explore northern Canada
What you’ll need to begin your career with us
We’re looking for a Department Manager with a healthy sense of adventure, who is willing to lead from the front, displays a strong work ethic, and has the ability to work well in changeable situations.
You will also bring:
- Minimum of 18 months experience of retail store experience; ideally in a high-volume grocery/retail environment and a strong knowledge of meat cuts and meat buying - however, we are always willing to train the right candidate in a new department area if they have the willingness to learn new skills
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience as a team leader to Minimum 1 year meat cutting experience or equivalent in meat school training
- A passion for the meat industry, and ability to provide the highest standards in customer service, ensuring your team complies to health, safety, and legal standards
- Experience in budget planning, reading & analyzing financial reports, product presentation & merchandising, inventory & cost control; and getting sales to drive results.
- Curiosity required to develop community relations by working with store associates and community partners respectfully, knowledgeably and effectively
- Capability to role model, coach and reinforce operational expectations; combined with the ability to exemplify empathy in leading a team
- Proven organizational, planning and prioritizing skills
- Ability to adapt to changing environments and situations by demonstrating proficiency in problem solving and decision making skills while communicating operational requirements/changes to department associates
Candidates must be willing to relocate to multiple markets in the northernmost regions of Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, Saskatchewan, Quebec, Nunavut, and Northwest Territories. Relocation arrangements will be made and paid for by Northern and NorthMart.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Northern and NorthMart is part of The North West group of companies. We are proud to serve and support communities in Northern Canada. Our stores offer a broad range of products and services with an emphasis on food, and our goal is to be the best local shopping choice for everyday household and local lifestyle needs.