Store Manager - Relocation to Northern Canada
Being unique is something to be celebrated. Embrace differences. Challenge and learn from each other. The extraordinary comes from different experiences and different lives. It brings us closer. We embrace the culture and languages of our nations’ first peoples and live together under the northern lights. The great communities that we’re a part of are rich with history and amazing people. We are the North West Company!
Relocation to the North
We’re so much more than a store and you’re so much more than a Store Manager! The North West Company (NWC) is a 353 year old Canadian icon and a leading retailer to amazing northern communities –large and small. With over 130 stores, we strive to make a positive difference within each community we proudly serve. We bring products and services that help the lives of our community members. We are a community hub that offers a broad range of quality products, services and food.
You are passionate about people, learning new things and love adventure. Diversity and different cultures are fascinating to you. You like to make a difference and you need meaning in your work. To be successful in the role, you need to be enterprising, self-motivated, hands-on leader with a strong work ethic, who is resilient and results-driven. All this combined with the ability to lead and inspire a team. As a leader you are adaptable and empathic, someone who will work and live respectfully and knowledgeably in the community. The every day challenges are real but your entrepreneurial spirit and can-do attitude will get the job done. In short, you’re a rockstar!
Leading By Example
No two days are the same in this roll-up-your-sleeves leadership role! Community members are our customers and they depend on us, they are our top priority. You are responsible for all aspects of the store and leadership of your team, as we provide the community with the necessities they need. Here’s a snapshot of what to expect:
- Motivate your team to greatness by coaching and mentoring team members to their greatest individual and collective potential
- Actively participate in career progression for your team members, with a commitment to help people improve and achieve their goals
- Improve performance and absenteeism by leveraging your unique perspective and experience
- Develop strong bonds with community leaders to proactively strengthen the relationship between the store and the community
- Provide leadership and assistance to department managers and other staff to ensure that products are properly and creatively displayed
- Develop and direct the execution of strategies to improve product placement, cleanliness and sanitation, store maintenance, and overall store image standards in accordance with company guidelines
- Problem solve acute issues with the resources at hand and best advice from fellow team members with a positive attitude
- Creatively manage unique freight and inventory challenges; find ways to “work smart”
- Drive store sales through your team and using your experience and creativity along with the NWC toolkit; focus on increasing profitability and store performance.
- Use your unique planning skills to execute all merchandise and inventory control programs within your store
- Foster the team’s understanding of all policies and procedures with a collective focus on regulatory compliance
- Use daily monitoring and execution of sales and payroll goals to actively manage your store’s budget
Why You’re Right for NWC
We look for leaders with retail in their background, but our track record shows that good leaders come from everywhere. Below is our wish list:
- Minimum of a high school diploma with experience in a leadership role; Bachelor’s degree is an asset
- Proficient computer skills, especially Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook)
- Valid driver’s license
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience as a team leader
- Retail experience preferred
- Ability to work with numbers and interpret financial reports
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to foster strong relationships and partnerships
- Demonstrated success in motivating and leading a team
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
- Self-driven and results-oriented with a clear business focus and strong problem solving skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Positive and optimistic attitude, even in the face of adversity
Communities & Working Conditions:
Our stores, branded Northern and NorthMart are located in rural, semi-remote and remote communities across Canada’s north. Communities vary in population from village to major urban centres.
Keeping a store stocked involves heavy lifting; you must be able to lift up to 50 pounds
Tired of falling behind every month? With salaries ranging from $50K - $75K, a great bonus program, at least 3 week’s vacation and heavily subsidized living and food allowances, the NWC total rewards package gives you a chance to get ahead.
Retail hours apply; this means some days are longer than others –but you have the flexibility to manage your time
Reports to: Director, Sales & Operations
Our Total Rewards package competes with any retail offer out there, and our housing and food allowances make us unique. Ask us about it.
We love hiring pairs –couples, siblings, BFFs. Know someone? Want to bring them with you? Let us know.
You are invited to share your unique skills and talents with the community on a volunteer basis, which has proven to be very rewarding.
We host regular Information Sessions. To find out more, visit us at www.northerncareers.ca
The NorthWest Company prides itself on hiring and employment practices defined by equality and inclusion. Candidates who require accommodation, please notify Human Resources on a confidential basis. All candidates are welcome to apply, but only those legally eligible to work in Canada will be considered.