Student Opportunities – Northern Canada Relocation
Northern and NorthMart is looking for students to join us in working in our stores across northern Canada.
What you need to know about our student opportunities
Our temporary contract opportunities are perfect for students looking to gain valuable experience in the retail industry while they are still studying. You will have the opportunity to earn and save money while working and living in distant locations across northern Canada, either during your summer break (May to September) or while studying online through remote learning methods. We offer flexibility in our contract terms, offering anything from 3 to 12 month contracts.
During your time with us, you will be provided with the opportunity to work in any of the following departments:
- General Merchandise
- Food Service
- Deli & Bakery
What you can look forward to
Student Associates are essential to the team. They help us to keep our stores running; from working the cash lanes, merchandising, receiving product and stocking shelves. Our Student Associates are expected to have excellent customer service and to provide support to the store management team.
Our students have told us that they enjoy the variety of work task and having the opportunity to work in new environments they have never experienced before. They also are able to test their planning and organizing skills, hone their multi-tasking proficiency, and work alongside experienced managers to help them develop and expand their leadership skills.
We offer flexibility in our contract terms, offering anything from 3 to 12 month contracts.
- Competitive salary and benefits package
- Allowances for both food and accommodation
- Career growth opportunities
- Opportunity to explore northern Canada
- Travel arrangements will be made and paid for by Northern and NorthMart
What is required from you?
To be successful you need to bring to us:
- Experience interacting with/serving customers in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to plan, organize and prioritize tasks to effectively complete daily accountabilities and provide fantastic customer service
- Ability to take initiative and action quickly, while making decisions with integrity and in support of company objectives and policies
- Curiosity and desire to embrace life and work in a culturally diverse setting by developing community partnerships.
- Physical ability to lift heavy product unaided for the duration of each shift
Candidates must be willing to travel, and have a passion for serving customers in remote and rural communities in difficult-to-reach markets. Our stores are located in the Northern most regions of Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, Saskatchewan, Quebec, Nunavut and Northwest Territories.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Northern and NorthMart is part of The North West group of companies. We are proud to serve and support communities in Northern Canada. Our stores offer a broad range of products and services with an emphasis on food, and our goal is to be the best local shopping choice for everyday household and local lifestyle needs.